Gluten-Free Sweet Parsnip Flan Recipe
Did you know that you can use parsnips not just as a vegetable side dish? You can also you parsnips in sweet desserts too! Parsnips are really healthy for you; a relative of carrots and parsley they are very frost resilient and naturally aromatic and sweet.They taste great in soups, stews, roasted in honey or salt as a side dish, you can grate them and serve them raw in salads or steam them as spaghetti using a julienne peeler! You can also make cakes and sweet desserts with them too! This root veg is very versatile and packed full of nutrients and vitamins!
This cake is delicious and light and has more of a light franzipan texture if you know what that is. It’s mellow and soft and has a subtle sweetness to it using only raw honey instead of refined white or brown sugar. It reminds me slightly of almonds but isn’t at all overpowering and doesn’t contain nuts unless you want to use them. It doesn’t rise hence why it is more of a flan than a cake and is gluten-free and paleo friendly. It goes really well served warm with cream, ice-cream or custard and stewed fruit or simply serve cold. 🙂 If you have a couple of parsnips that need using up definitely try this flan!
What you need to know:
Prep time: 15 mins
Bake time: 35 mins
Oven temp.: 180°C
Ingredients for a 10″ inch flan:
100 g Kerry Gold Butter or ghee at room temperature
100 g honey
4 egg yolks
50 g gluten-free bread crumbs / almonds
200 g parsnips, peeled and finely grated (about 2 large parsnips)
4 egg whites
flaked almonds or powdered sugar or leave it plain
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and butter and flour a 10″ cake tin or flat pie or flan base.
2. Whisk the 100 g butter with 70 g of honey until fluffy then add the four egg yolks and beat until well mixed.
3. In a separate bowl mix the remaining 30 g honey with the egg whites and whisk until stiff then carefully fold the egg whites into the butter-egg yolk mix.
4. Add the grated parsnips and 50 g of gluten-free breadcrumbs or coconut flour and carefully fold in until everything is mixed.
5. Pour the cake mixture into the tin or flan base and if using flaked almonds decorate with almonds and pop in the oven for 35 – 40 mins until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.
6. Once baked through, remove from the oven and serve either warm or cold with or without icing sugar.